Posts for tag: dental bonding
Find out more about this simple cosmetic dentistry and what it can do to recontour your smile.
Sometimes people want to make minor adjustments to the appearance of their smile but they are also looking for something a little more cost effective. Our Hayward, CA, cosmetic dentist Dr. Robert Wick understands that cosmetic dentistry shouldn’t be a luxury but rather an option that anyone can consider. Find out more about dental bonding and reshaping and whether this non-invasive treatment is right for you.
What is dental bonding?
If you want to cover minor discolorations, gaps, chips and cracks, as well as uneven teeth, then dental bonding could be all you need to revamp your smile. While most people worry that even the smallest imperfections will require dental veneers, you’ll be happy to know that dental bonding provides a simple, inexpensive and non-invasive way to makeover your smile without the need for drilling or anesthesia.
When you get dental bonding in Hayward, CA, we will apply a tooth-colored material (the same material used to fill a tooth after a cavity) over these flaws and mold them until the proper look has been achieved. Then the resin is hardened with a laser. This can take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to complete, depending on the types of imperfections and which tooth you want to treat.
What is tooth reshaping?
Our Hayward, CA, dentist is able to remove small bits of enamel from the tooth in order to change the shape or length. If you find that you are dealing with extremely pointy teeth or if your uneven smile has you dealing with a bad bite, then tooth reshaping (sometimes referred to as tooth recontouring) might be able to help.
Since enamel removal is minimal, this procedure doesn’t usually require a local anesthesia to numb the area. Once the tooth has been reshaped, it is polished and smoothed down for an even, clean appearance.
Before getting tooth reshaping, we will need to perform a series of x-rays to ensure that your teeth are healthy enough for treatment. Once we have determined that you are a good candidate for tooth reshaping, the cosmetic treatment takes around 30 minutes to complete.
Do you have questions about dental bonding? Are you interested in finding out whether your smile could benefit from cosmetic dentistry? Our Hayward, CA cosmetic dental office can help. Call us today.
Have you ever wondered if cosmetic dentistry could help you? If you've ever had a filling or improved your smile with professional teeth whitening, you've already taken advantage of cosmetic dentistry treatments. Dr. Robert Wick, your family dentist in Hayward, CA, shares information that will help you decide if you can benefit from one or more of these treatments.
What cosmetic dentistry is available in Hayward?
Cosmetic dentistry treatments improve the appearance of your smile and also restore normal function to teeth that have been damaged or weakened. Cosmetic dentistry encompasses a range of services, including:
- Fillings: Fillings are probably the most well-known cosmetic dentistry treatment. They replace tooth structure that has decayed. Tooth-colored composite resin fillings offer a less noticeable option than traditional silver amalgam fillings.
- Porcelain Veneers: Thin porcelain veneers cover chips and many other types of flaws, such as oddly shaped or discolored teeth. These wafer-thin shells are bonded to the fronts of your teeth and offer a simple way to make over your smile.
- Teeth Whitening: When brushing alone isn't enough to keep your smile bright, professional teeth whitening can help. Most people only need one treatment to achieve a three- to eight-shade improvement.
- Composite Bonding: Dentists use bonding to repair small defects in teeth, cover discolorations and completely change the appearance of teeth. Composite resin is used to bond teeth because it can be tinted to match the color of your teeth and becomes very hard when it cures.
- Crowns and Bridges: Crowns correct cosmetic issues and also support and strengthen teeth that have been damaged or are fragile. Unlike veneers, crowns don't just conceal the front surfaces of your teeth, but also cover teeth on all four sides. Crowns are also used to make bridges, which are used to replace missing teeth.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants offer a more permanent solution to missing teeth than bridges because they fuse to your jawbone. Implants are more comfortable than other replacement options and are usually less expensive if you compare lifetime costs.
Could you benefit from a cosmetic dentistry treatment? Call Dr. Wick, your family dentist in Hayward, CA, at (510) 782-1444 to schedule an appointment.