How can you prolong the life of a failing tooth and improve its appearance? A dental crown from your family dentist, Dr. Robert Wick, could do both. At his Hayward office, Dr. Wick designs and places crowns crafted from lifelike and long-lasting porcelain, giving his patients complete and beautiful smiles and avoiding extractions.
The marvelous crown
A dental crown, or cap, covers and restores a tooth above the gum line. Supporting worn and weak enamel, remaking shape and size or replacing large fillings, this restoration preserves as much natural tooth structure as possible and facilitates clear speech, efficient biting, and chewing.
Also versatile, a crown restores a dental implant or a tooth treated by root canal therapy. Used in multiples depending on need, crowns support the opposing sides of a fixed bridge.
The treatment is simple
After examining and X-raying your tooth, Dr. Wick will remove the chipped or decayed portions, shaping the enamel to accept the crown. Also, he'll make oral impressions and instruct the dental lab on how to craft your crown. In between appointments, you may wear a temporary cap.
At your next appointment in his Hayward office, your family dentist will take off the temporary crown and cement the new one over your tooth. A few minor adjustments ensure good fit and bite, and you're done.
Advantages of modern dental crowns
1. Most of today's crowns are 100 percent porcelain which is tooth-colored, resilient and long-lasting. Your smile will look--and feel--perfectly natural. Crowned teeth look similar in size and shape to their natural, healthy neighbors.
2. Most porcelain crowns last up to 15 years, says News-Medical.net.
3. Crowns strengthen teeth which otherwise could wear down, chip or even fracture.
4. Your crown fits your smile, and no one else's. In other words, these restorations are fully customized to your needs and preferences.
5. They are easy to care for with daily brushing and flossing and semi-annually hygienic cleanings and exams with Dr. Wick.
6. You get to keep your tooth.
Whenever possible, tooth-sparing restorations, such as crowns, are preferable to tooth extraction and the resulting smile gaps and bone loss in the jaw.
Learn how crowns can help you
Is a tooth troubling you? Come see your family dentist in his Hayward, CA, office. Dr. Wick may be able to restore it with a beautiful porcelain crown. Call us for an appointment: (510) 782-1444.