Posts for: February, 2017
Would you like to whiten your smile, but aren't sure if whitening would be a good choice? Dr. Robert Wick, your Hayward, CA, dentist, discusses teeth whitening treatment and explains how you can tell if you're a good candidate.
Teeth whitening in Hayward, CA
Hydrogen peroxide, the key ingredient in most teeth whitening products, removes surface stains caused by foods and beverages or brightens teeth that have become duller as a result of aging. Professional teeth whitening agents are stronger than those you can buy at the drugstore and work much faster. Dentists offer both in-office whitening and take-home kits for your convenience.
Is teeth whitening right for me?
Teeth whitening treatment is a good option if:
- Your Teeth Are Clean: Hydrogen peroxide doesn't penetrate tartar, a hard deposit that forms on your teeth. If you have tartar, you may notice gray, brown or yellow spots on your teeth that don't go away with brushing. A professional dental cleaning before teeth whitening will remove tartar.
- You're Over the Age of 16: Teeth whitening agents may cause too much sensitivity in teenagers and children.
- You Don't Have Any Dental Restorations: Whitening agents have no effect on crowns, bridges, veneers and other dental restorations. If you want to whiten your teeth anyway, you can get new restorations to match your new smile.
- Your Teeth Are Healthy: You don't have gum disease, enamel erosion or cavities. These issues must be treated before you can undergo whitening.
- You Don't Have Receding Gums: Whitening agents aren't applied to tooth roots exposed by receding gums. If you have exposed roots and whiten your teeth, you'll have a two-tone smile. See your dentist if your gums have started to recede, as the condition can be a symptom of gum disease.
- Your Teeth Aren't Extremely Sensitive: If your teeth are very sensitive, whitening may not be a good option. If you've experienced sensitivity using an over-the-counter product, don't assume that this will automatically be the case with professional teeth whitening. Before whitening, your dentist applies a protective gel to your gums to reduce sensitivity. Your dentist will let you know if he thinks that teeth whitening is a good choice if you have sensitive teeth.
Are you interested in finding out if you're a good candidate for teeth whitening? Dr. Call Dr. Wick, your Hayward, CA, dentist, at (510) 782-1444 to schedule your appointment.