Eliminate Pain and Treat Infections with Root Canal Therapy
Your Hayward Dentist Explains: What is Root Canal Therapy?
- Minimal to severe pain
- Tooth discoloration
- Swelling and irritation in the surrounding gum tissue
- Signs of infection visible on a radiograph
Have you stopped smiling because your teeth are dull and stained? As the most popular cosmetic dentistry service available today, professional teeth whitening offers a simple way to boost your smile and improve your confidence. Available at the Hayward, CA, office of dentist Dr. Robert Wick, read on to learn what this treatment can do for you!
Whitening removes stains at their source
If your smile has become a little duller over the years, it's only natural to feel a little self-conscious. After all, our society values bright, white smiles. Fortunately, teeth whitening removes stains caused by foods, beverages, tobacco, and aging.
Stain-causing pigments seep into microscopic pores in your tooth enamel when you eat, drink, or smoke. As these pigments begin to build up, your teeth look dull and yellow. Teeth whitening treatment targets these pigments, bleaching away the stains. Hydrogen peroxide, a safe and natural chemical, is the active ingredient in the gel used by your cosmetic dentist. This chemical breaks apart and removes the pigments that dull your teeth, improving your smile.
Teeth whitening is convenient and quick
Professional whitening here at our Hayward dental office only takes about an hour to complete and can be accomplished in just one visit. Before your whitening session begins, however, your teeth will be cleaned to remove tartar and plaque. After all, without this crucial step, your teeth would look mottled after whitening.
Following this cleaning, retractors are used to protect your gums, roots, cheeks, and lips, and your dentist applies the whitening gel. While you wait for the gel to work its magic, you can relax, listen to music on your headphones, or catch up with the latest news on your phone. When the gel is removed, you may see a three-to-eight-shade difference in your teeth.
A take-home whitening kit will make it easy to touch up your whitening results occasionally or whiten at home if you prefer. Avoiding coffee, tea, cola, red wine, berries and other foods and beverages that cause stains can help you extend your whitening results.
Interested? Give us a call
Renew your smile with professional teeth whitening! Make a cosmetic dentistry appointment today by calling Dr. Robert Wick's Hayward, CA, office at (510) 782-1444.
How can you prolong the life of a failing tooth and improve its appearance? A dental crown from your family dentist, Dr. Robert Wick, could do both. At his Hayward office, Dr. Wick designs and places crowns crafted from lifelike and long-lasting porcelain, giving his patients complete and beautiful smiles and avoiding extractions.
The marvelous crown
A dental crown, or cap, covers and restores a tooth above the gum line. Supporting worn and weak enamel, remaking shape and size or replacing large fillings, this restoration preserves as much natural tooth structure as possible and facilitates clear speech, efficient biting, and chewing.
Also versatile, a crown restores a dental implant or a tooth treated by root canal therapy. Used in multiples depending on need, crowns support the opposing sides of a fixed bridge.
The treatment is simple
After examining and X-raying your tooth, Dr. Wick will remove the chipped or decayed portions, shaping the enamel to accept the crown. Also, he'll make oral impressions and instruct the dental lab on how to craft your crown. In between appointments, you may wear a temporary cap.
At your next appointment in his Hayward office, your family dentist will take off the temporary crown and cement the new one over your tooth. A few minor adjustments ensure good fit and bite, and you're done.
Advantages of modern dental crowns
1. Most of today's crowns are 100 percent porcelain which is tooth-colored, resilient and long-lasting. Your smile will look--and feel--perfectly natural. Crowned teeth look similar in size and shape to their natural, healthy neighbors.
2. Most porcelain crowns last up to 15 years, says News-Medical.net.
3. Crowns strengthen teeth which otherwise could wear down, chip or even fracture.
4. Your crown fits your smile, and no one else's. In other words, these restorations are fully customized to your needs and preferences.
5. They are easy to care for with daily brushing and flossing and semi-annually hygienic cleanings and exams with Dr. Wick.
6. You get to keep your tooth.
Whenever possible, tooth-sparing restorations, such as crowns, are preferable to tooth extraction and the resulting smile gaps and bone loss in the jaw.
Learn how crowns can help you
Is a tooth troubling you? Come see your family dentist in his Hayward, CA, office. Dr. Wick may be able to restore it with a beautiful porcelain crown. Call us for an appointment: (510) 782-1444.
Are you embarrassed to smile? Veneers can refresh your smile and boost your confidence! Veneers are thin shells that can be placed over your teeth to hide dental flaws and transform your appearance. Veneers are used to treat a number of different cosmetic concerns. Dr. Robert Wick in Hayward, CA offers full-service, state-of-the-art dental care to the patients he serves. Read on to find out how veneers can refresh your smile.
1. Veneers can fix your smile flaws. Veneers are handcrafted and cover the front surface of your teeth. They're often used to treat teeth that are crooked, fractured, worn down, misaligned, and irregularly shaped. Gapped teeth can also be repaired through the use of veneers. These porcelain shells are bonded to the teeth changing their shape, color, length, and size.
2. Veneers can give you a strong smile. Many patients have weakened teeth, and as a result, they have a lot of problems with their smile. When your teeth are weakened, they are more prone to damage and decay. Veneers can make your teeth stronger. They're bonded to the teeth, adding the strength of ceramic to the treated teeth.
3. Veneers can brighten your smile. Teeth staining can have numerous causes including advancing age, foods, drinks, tobacco use, certain medications, genetics, and certain diseases. Porcelain veneers can give you a whiter, brighter smile. Nothing is more beautiful than a white smile.
4. Veneers are natural looking. These days, there's a growing demand for customized, natural-looking veneers created by professionals. Veneers look completely natural and will give you a true smile makeover. Your veneers will have the same look, feel, and luster as your permanent teeth. With veneers, you will enjoy the confidence of having a naturally beautiful smile.
5. You will look better for longer. With veneers, you can enjoy a fresh smile for many years. With proper at-home oral hygiene and regular visits to the dentist, your new veneers could last for many years. Porcelain veneers can last up to 10 to 15 years and longer. It will be up to you to protect your new dental veneers in order to increase their lifespan.
If you want an improved smile, this is your chance. Start your journey today. Call Dr. Robert Wick at 510-782-1444 today to schedule a veneers consultation in Hayward, CA and get the smile you deserve. Porcelain veneers can have a huge impact on the quality of your life.
Injuries are never convenient, especially when it comes to problems with your teeth. Medical emergency rooms aren’t typically equipped to deal with most dental issues and 24-hour dentists can be expensive and inconveniently located. But how do you know what's a real dental emergency and what can wait until your family dentist in Hayward, CA, is open the next day? Dr. Robert Wick has provided the answers for his patients here.
What isn’t a dental emergency?
While the following problems can be inconvenient and should be treated promptly, they can typically wait until the next day if your Hayward family dentist isn’t available:
- A piece of food or dental floss that’s become lodged between your teeth
- A chip or crack if it isn’t causing you pain
- A lost crown or filling
- A mild toothache
What is a dental emergency?
Any time a tooth is knocked out or shifted out of place due to an injury, it needs immediate treatment to prevent permanent loss. Keeping a preservation kit on hand is a great idea, especially if you or a family member is involved in athletic activities that could lead to a mouth injury. These kits contain a solution where the missing tooth can be placed until you can be treated by an emergency dentist, ideally in an hour or less.
If you have severe tooth pain and a fever, especially if you have swelling on one side of your face, a bad taste in your mouth or a pimple-like bump on your gums, you may have an abscess. In this case, your Hayward family dentist recommends going to your nearest emergency room for pain relief and antibiotic treatment.
If you’re still unsure if you have a dental emergency or not, we can help! Contact our family dental office in Hayward, CA, for any questions you may have.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.